Consider how the wildflowers grow....Luke 12:27 NIV
Living small in our 880 square foot cottage and micro farming on approximately an acre of land.

Friday, May 9, 2014

Hand (or rather foot) Washing Laundry


My washing machine leaks like a sieve now.  Hubby's going to take a look at it as soon as he can, but that may still be some time.  In the meantime, it's back to hand washing laundry.

Bathtub + Feet agitators = an acceptable job at washing laundry.

It does take some time, though.  I did two small loads the other morning and it took me an hour and 15 minutes.  I could have done a better job on the darks.  Hubby's work jeans didn't come out as clean as I would have liked.

I really don't mind it.  It's great exercise, but I hate the hand wringing part.  I don't have a wringer, so I have to use my hands.  That's tough on the hands.

Always looking to save time and money, I threw in a load of darks while I was taking a shower.  Multi tasking!

I'll say one thing, though....doing laundry by hand really forces me to evaluate what clothing is actually dirty and what can get away with another wearing.

Worse comes to worse, I have family nearby with machines I can use and of course there are laundromats in the area.

Still, the notion of being able to adequately hand wash laundry is appealing in some way.  Maybe it is just the time of year.  The long days for air drying, the warmer weather, the less clothing being worn all add up for ideal hand washing.  I don't think I'd be so rosy about it if it were winter.

1 comment:

  1. Did you watch the laundry episode of Tales from the Green Valley? They used a pole and put the laundry around that and wrung it out using two hands on the other end. Is that making any sense?

    ReplyDelete